Inadmissible? Applying at a Port of Entry


Generally speaking, so long as you are not from a country that requires you to obtain a temporary resident visa, you can apply for a temporary resident permit or even for criminal rehabilitation at a port of entry (i.e., a border crossing or airport). However, there are disadvantages and advantages to this approach:


  • You get a decision immediately
  • You won’t pay the immigration application fee if your application is denied


  • Immigration officers at the border are sometimes unaware of your right to ask that your application be considered, and they can be extremely rude and dismissive
  • If your application is complex, they may just refer you to the local consulate without taking the time to consider your immigration application

A client of mine recently made an application for a temporary resident permit at a port of entry and was told that such permits are only issued at the border for emergency situations, like rock stars about to give a concert! Such a response is absurd — there is nothing in the legislation or policies that support such a statement. It goes to show the lack of training you can encounter at a port of entry.

Nonetheless, it is an option to consider, especially if you have to enter Canada quickly.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile

  1. July 3, 2007
  2. July 3, 2007
  3. November 27, 2007
  4. December 11, 2007
  5. January 2, 2008
  6. April 11, 2008
  7. September 18, 2008
  8. May 5, 2009
  9. August 29, 2017

    CIC banned me 5years for reapplying sponsorship application due to misrepresentation. If I fly to canada through any mean, can I get assylum at the port of entry (airport) with disclose my CIC refusal file number. My husband canadian citizen, who had sponsored me after 5 year ban inadmissible to canada, divorced me becaz of hide truth and now I have life threat in Pakistan, my parents, neighbourhood etc.

    • Evelyn Ackah
      September 28, 2017

      Thanks for Commenting. We try to be as responsive as possible, for a faster response please email us at or phone: (403) 452-9515; Toll-free: 1 (800) 932-1190 (North America).

Write a comment:

Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.